General Style Tips
- Smart casual is the key here with maybe a smarter outfit for a special restaurant.
- Wearing sunscreen (we love the Riemann P20 range for 10 hour protection) really is essential – the rays are a lot stronger than you realise.
- But also take a pashmina, light jacket or cardigan, as a cool wind can spring up suddenly. Ocean breezes can be cool and once the sun sets, the temperature can drop.
- The weather is always unpredictable, and SF is known for its fog – so take a waterproof raincoat.
- And if you are planning a trip over to Alcatraz it can be cool on the boat crossing San Francisco Bay, so take a lightweight jacket then too.
- It's a good idea to dress in layers especially in the cooler winter season of December, January and February.
- This is a hilly city and they say if you get tired you can lean against it, so make sure you have comfortable walking shoes. We love Hotter shoes, for total comfort along with style.
- Pack light as it's very easy to get clothes laundered and it will leave plenty of room for the great buys you'll find here.
- Also see What to Wear in USA