General Style Tips
- Flagstaff is a university town and as such has a casual vibe and dress style.
- However there are some smarter restaurants in town so pack at least one smart casual outfit.
- This area is all about the great outdoors so comfortable walking shoes are vital, (we love Hotter shoes, for total comfort and they look great too).
- Many people use this as their stop off on route to the Grand Canyon and being high in the mountains it can be really cool even in late May, so be prepared and pop in a fleece.
- Dressing in layers helps to cope with the change in temperature that you can experience in one day.
- A lightweight day sack will come in handy to carry your sightseeing essentials.
- Also see What to Wear in USA
Pack for the Weather
- Don't forget that conditions are arctic if you're visiting in winter; November, December, January, February, March so you need to be prepared for them. If you don't, you'll find that your skin really does shrivel up and fall off. You are well advised to have a very thick, warm coat. Gloves, a hat, warm scarf and ear muffs are also a very good idea.
- For extra warmth pack some long thermal underwear – you'll be grateful you did.
- Have some versatile shoes with a soft rubber tread to provide you with enough traction not to slip on the ice. It's important that you get soft rubber soles because even medium soles get really hard in the freezing cold. Make sure too that they have large spaces between the tracks, or the snow will get stuck in them and make them very slippery.
- Sunglasses can also be useful in winter to protect your eyes from the wind and glare from the snow.
- In the summer; June, July and August wear plenty of sunscreen (we love the Riemann P20 range for 10 hour protection), sunglasses and a sunhat.
- We love the Weather+ app – it gives an accurate 6 day forecast for day and night, which when you're planning from home is really helpful. You can keep all the places you've been to too – a nice way to remember your trip 🙂 Download for iPad/iPhone or Android