General Style Tips
- Whatever class of hotel or pension you are staying in, dressing up really doesn't happen here – everyone is very casual.
- A lightweight day sack will come in handy to carry your sightseeing essentials.
- All year round wear plenty of sunscreen (we love the Riemann P20 range for 10 hour protection), sunglasses and a sunhat.
- Take insect/mosquito repellent too.
- We would suggest that you don't bother with travellers cheques as they are not widely accepted. Take instead a combination of Euros and credit card as the Euro is accepted everywhere. However we would recommend changing your Euros into the local currency, Cape Verde Escudos (CVE) at the bank when you arrive as you will find that you will get around 110 CVE for 1 Euro whereas most shops and restaurants will convert at 100 CVE to 1 Euro.
- Be sure to visit the new marina – very chi chi and if you have time take the ferry across to Santo Antao, you won't be disappointed.
- Also see What to Wear in Cape Verde
Clothing Tips for Women
- Our advice would be to travel light – Capri pants or a skirt work well with flip flops.
- Our advice would be to save your shorts and sarong for the beach, wearing them elsewhere will label you as a tourist and skimpy tight fitting clothes may get you unwanted attention.
- The roads and paths are very uneven so flat shoes are far more suitable than heels when out and about.
- Make sure you take comfy footwear for daytime as there are loads of cobbled streets, plus religious sites and museums with wooden floors (try Hotter shoes , they provide total comfort and look great too).
- A pashmina is a versatile piece that will dress up any outfit
Clothing Tips for Men
- There are no specific things to bring to your attention, check out our packing list for our suggested capsule wardrobe.
Pack for the Weather
- October, November, December, January, February and March the islands are cooler and we would recommend that you pack a cardigan, fleece or pashmina for the evenings.
- We love the Weather+ app – it gives an accurate 6 day forecast for day and night, which when you're planning from home is really helpful. You can keep all the places you've been to too – a nice way to remember your trip 🙂 Download for iPad/iPhone or Android