General Style Tips
- One of the main attractions for visiting Fogo is the volcano. If you are planning on walking to the top then be sure to pack light weight walking boots or trainers, and a light day pack for your trip essentials.
- Whatever class of hotel or pension you are staying in, dressing up really doesn't happen here – everyone is very casual.
- The people are wonderful and friendly and you can arrange a day tour of the island either by taxi or Aluger (local bus) and both are very reasonable by comparison to the more touristy islands.
- Be sure to visit the Museum in Sao Filipe.
- This is a very young holiday destination and it will be difficult to get any sunscreen (we love the Riemann P20 range for 10 hour protection), and it will be expensive – so pack plenty.
- Take insect/mosquito repellent too.
- Also see What to Wear in Cape Verde
Clothing Tips for Women
- Lightweight Capri pants or a skirt work well with flip flops.
- The roads and paths are very uneven so flat shoes are far more suitable than heels when out and about.
- We love Hotter shoes, for total comfort along with style. Or why not try the Lindsay Phillips Switch Flops range – using interchangeable shoe and flip-flop bases with snap-on decorations, you can change your look from day to evening in an instant whilst still packing light.
Clothing Tips for Men
- There are no specific things to bring to your attention, check out our packing list for our suggested capsule wardrobe.
Pack for the Weather
- Even when it is hot and sunny on the coast, up in the high ground it can rain and be cold so pack a raincoat… just in case.
- We love the Weather+ app – it gives an accurate 6 day forecast for day and night, which when you're planning from home is really helpful. You can keep all the places you've been to too – a nice way to remember your trip 🙂 Download for iPad/iPhone or Android